Friday, April 28, 2006

My friend Dennis

My friend Dennis was a weird guy. Not really the type I would normally hang out with, but he just seemed to fit in. He was short, stocky, rather disgusting at times, but had endearing qualitities that made him instantly likeable. Our group of friends connected in High School, and there were five of us that were basically inseparable.

Dennis had many loves in his life, some would consider them frivolous: video games, pretty girls, the Miami Dolphins, and Van Halen, to name a few. He would call them essential. He was so irritating that it made you want to give him a hug.

He moved to Florida almost 10 years ago now, and subsequently to Georgia, but whenever we'd talk on the phone, or one of us would make the trip, it was like no time had passed. Whenever those of us in Canada would get together, we would always reflect on the past antics of Dennis. Even as some of us got married and started having kids, Dennis was not only in another country, but seemingly a different set of circumstances.

He had a couple girlfriends, but no serious relationships. He worked in construction, while most of us were professionals. We all came from relatively stable homes, where his dad was in prison and mom was a raving bitch who wanted nothing to do with him.

The last time he was here, we got a picture of my wife, and our good friend, who were both about 7 months pregnant, and Dennis, all sitting on the sofa exposing their bellies. He was just that kind of guy.

He was one of my best friends.

Dennis was killed in a car accident on Saturday, age 31.

None of us here found out until last night (Dennis' brother was going through the names on Dennis' cell phone, and called my other friend to let him know what had happend). The memorial service was yesterday in Georgia, and I feel like none of the people who really loved him were there for it.

12 comments:

miamicatt said...

I'm sorry for your loss Meemo.

*hugs*

You'll be missed Dennis. I, too, consider the Miami Dolphins essential. I wish you peace in the next life.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh wow, I'm so sorry for his family & all of you, his friends. I agree, it's disappointing none of you were able to go to the memorial service.

*hugs*

mm said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

{{hugs}}

You and the family will be in my thoughts.

Debcapsfan said...

It sounds like you all need to get together and have your own remembrance. *hug*

Glowie said...

*hug*
This is a nice tribute. I like Deb's idea.

Zombs said...

Oh I am so sorry Meemo. So sad and shockin when a contemporary passes.

I agree about Deb's idea of you all getting together and having your own rememberance.

Puffy said...

Beautiful memorial to Dennis. I'm sorry to hear about his sudden death. Yes, Deb has a great idea.

~Nutz said...

Oh no. Such sad news. {{{hugs}}}

HistoryDetective said...

I'm sorry, Meemo. When one of my college roommates passed away we arranged to have a tree planted in a park in the city where we went to college and then had a small service when the tree was planted.

Seana said...

I'm so sorry to hear it, Meemo.

*hugs*

Schnookie said...

*HUGS* So sorry Meemo.

RIP Dennis.

Lasann said...

Oh Meemo, that's so sad. I agree with Debs. Get together with the other guys and have a memorial.

I worry about that happening when I haven't talked to my long distance friends for ahile. sigh