Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I bought a snow blower yesterday

My parents gave us some cash this Christmas with the express intent of us purchasing a snow blower with it. It was a nice gesture, but I had never given thought to purchasing one. But alas, I granted their wish, and now I am the proud (first time owner) of a relatively small (5 hp), six-speed, gas-powered snow blower/thrower thingy.

We bought it used off of a guy who just bought it last year, but has since separated from his wife and moved into an apartment. Only used 5 times, and we got it for half of what he paid.

Now I'm trying to figure out what snow blower etiquette is. Do I do my neighours' sidewalks and driveways? If so, do I only do my immediate neighbours on either side, or do I cross the street? Or do I restrict myself to only doing my driveway and sidewalk? On the flip side, do I just go up and down the sidewalks for the entire street?

On another note, DW thought she was going into labour yesterday, and ended up at the doctor's office, but it was a false alarm. The doctor indicated she was starting to dilate though, so he figured we're no more than two weeks away (which would put us two weeks ahead of schedule). I guess this means we're on official baby watch now.

12 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

We had the same problem with our plow on the mower. Chris has offered to plow our new neighbors. He basically told them no money necessary unless it snows a lot...then we'd talk. But it only gets plowable around five times a year, so we just plow the long shared driveway and our inlet (and now the neighbors). The other two neighbors already had a plow guy when we moved in, so we didn't offer. Rude of us? Maybe?

I'd say snowblow the whole straight block if you feel like it. I'd only do other's driveways if someone was elderly or handicapped, or if you owe them some favors.

maroonclown said...

First of all, congrats on the impending birth. Hope all goes well.

As for the snowblower, we've just purchased a brand new Torro Snowthrower with self-propel and electric start. She's a beaut. We (I say we but really mean DH) do sidewalks in front of houses right next door. Carlos also does the sidewalk of another neightbour as she's on her own and a student so she's kind of helpless. We live right next door to a couple over 80 so we do everything for them. Across the street lives a guy who used to do everyones. Honestly, we would get home and he would have everyone's driveway done. He's not been well so we gladly are returning all those favours.

And, I say this with pride, we bought our snowthrower with accumulated change. Took two years to save it but we did.

Zombs said...

Oooh a snow blower! Do you get enough snow for one? The few times it really snows I would love for someone to blow my snow!

I bet Mrs. Meemo will go into labor if you have some big storm. So exciting!

Swami said...

When we lived in the city we always plowed the corner lot of the elderly woman who lived behind us. Since we had a corner lot too, that was a lot of plowing. Tom also always plowed out the fire hydrant on the corner.

Once in a while, like after a big snow, if Tom was the first one out then he would plow a path down the center of the whole sidewalk. Not clear it, but just keep the sidewalk passable.

Syren said...

Well...I had no idea. COngrats and gentle hugs to the mommy.

HistoryDetective said...

As long as you'e going to do the entire street, please make a short detour over to my block as well. Thanks.

Congrats on the impending arrival.

Aislinn Sirk said...

If you do snow blow the entire street, I, as a pedestrian, would be so grateful. The sidewalk becomes some sort of death trap when it snows.

At least in Calgary, I got the satisfaction of knowing people could be fined if they didn't clean their sidewalk.

kim (weltek) said...

How is Mrs. Meemo?

Puffy said...

I hope you have good weather on delivery day.

Glowie said...

the fact that you would even consider doing the neighbour's (I inserted the u for you) is more proof that you are awesome.

What's up with Mrs. Meeeeeeeemo? *paces*

Lasann said...

I would probably do the neighbor's but my Dbf won't. I even mowed the grass of a neighbor and he was younger than me.

Another baby *jumps up and down*!

Anonymous said...

*sings OK Go while waiting for Baby Meemo*