Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Double standard

I have always been on the "slender" side. I suppose you could say I was blessed with a ridiculously high metabolism.

While I'd be silly to complain about this, it is something that I've always been self-concious of... no guy likes to be the skinniest of the bunch. It's not that I'm waifish or anything, but I am noticeably thin.

So anyways, I'm curious why it is that people find it ok to joke and mock about people who are thin?

Here's an example: Every month we have a day to celebrate any birthdays in our office (of about 20 people). Inevitably, when it comes time to hand out the cake, whoever is cutting/distributing the cake designates the biggest piece for me, because I apparently "need it." It's not just one person doing this... it's become quite the joke every month. I don't encourage it, and have mentioned my displeasure a couple of times (I've recently taken to refusing to particpate because I'm "too busy").

This is just one example. Throughout my adult life, I have been teased, told to "load up on seconds" and the like. We don't typically tolerate overweight people being told to be given "a small piece, because they really don't need it - hah hah." So why is it tolerated the other way around?

There is literally nothing I can do about it (I work out, lift weights, take weight-gaining formula) -- it's who I am.

Anyways, let this be a public service announcement for all the skinny people out there. Don't hate us cuz we're thin.

Peace out

7 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

You're right. I think many of us that AREN'T noticeably thin assume you all have great self esteem and don't ever think about your weight.

A group of us went to lunch at Panera for a birthday and one decided we should get cookies. I offerred to buy. The tiniest girl (she was a ballerina) said she didn't want one. I said "And this is why you are thin and I am not."

She may have taken offense to it, although I felt like I was giving a compliment. I promise to be more sensitive now, Meemo. What may seem a compliment on my part may not be taken as such.

Lasann said...

Wow, meemo. I guess since the majority of us would like to be a bit thinner we never gave it any thought. My boys (21 and 18) do hate their thin stature also. And you are right, I don't think twice about teasing them - opps.

I've always been attracted to thin, tall men. The men that my boys want to immulate are much more muscular than I like.

So, wow, I need to be more conscious of this.

HistoryDetective said...

Yeah, I think that anytime somebody wants to make a comment about another person's appearance that s/he should keep it him/herself unless it is explicitly a compliment.

Zombs said...

Yes and while we are on that subject when one is pregnant it is rude when said lady is swelling and her belly is huge to ask "how much did you gain?"

I do think people think it is a compliment because everyone wants to be thinner but I agree. People should just clam up unless they are saying how fabulous you look.

Swami said...

I think it's a weird passive-aggressive envy thing, Meemo. I have always envied the naturally thin, because the few times in my life that people thought *I* was too thin I was eating about 500 calories a day. Which is freakin' stupid, but there ya go.

Generally I try to compliment people on something they do because that's the most meaningful way to compliment.

HistoryDetective said...

I agree with Swami that it is a passive-aggressive envy thing --- but that doesn't stop me from wanting to respond with "well, if you got on the treadmill once in a while like I do then you could eat more cake too" whenever I get one of these comments.

Puffy said...

Same thing for people's height. "How's the weather up there?"

By the way, Meemo, bring some swim trunks with an elastic waist on your vacation, mmmkay? :)