Thursday, May 01, 2008

I bought a bike....

Some friends of mine are pretty heavily into mountain biking.

So I decided to take the plunge and buy a new (well, used) bike to help keep me in shape.

We have some great trails around here (despite being in the city), and I have to say: I. LOVE. IT. Been out twice this week, and hope to get out at least once a week for the summer.

Here's a pic of my bike. It's a Trek 4300 for anybody who might care:




Some of you may remember I did a mini-triathlon last year. This year, my goal is the Lake 2 Lake Classic bike race. It's a 52 km mountain-bike race from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. I think I might be slightly delusional in thinking I can do it, but hey, I have 6 weeks to train :-)

7 comments:

Swami said...

Great bike Meemo!

I used to do a lot of biking when I was younger, including a 10 mile daily commute. Trust me - if you ride a few miles 2 or 3 times a week for 6 weeks then a 25 mile ride will be nothihg but fun. (Sorry - I think in miles.)

kim (weltek) said...

Good luck, Meemo! My butt hurts just thinking about that.

We have mountain bikes, but it was a poor choice for us. Most of our riding is a combo of nicely groomed trails and road. When we bought them, we intended to take them camping. Packing that up with a PITA, though, so we don't. Maybe we should trade them in for more road-friendly bikes.

kevingrout said...

Yeah Kim. I just sold my more road-friendly bike and got the new one so I could do more trail riding.

I don't know if I'll be able to wear shorts this summer because my legs are so scratched up and bruised :-)

But... I love it. I'd be out every day if it didn't mean taking time away from my family.

kevingrout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My very first credit card purchase was a bike because I *had* to have one. I don't think I've ridden it 20 times, and that was about 15 years ago.

I still have it. Maybe one day I'll start riding it again.

Puffy said...

We need to fix up our bikes to ride again. That's one of my summer goals. I like the looks of your bike. Good luck on doing the race!

Bravie said...

Very nice bike. And yes, you are most ambitious.
I am doing my first foot race this weekend. It's just a measly 12k but it's my first. :)