Friday, May 16, 2008

Considering change

As I mentioned at the other place, I am officially keeping my eyes open for other positions.

There really aren't any opportunities in my immediate geographic area, so it means moving to Toronto (no thanks) or out of province.

If I have to move that far away, my preference (always has been) to move south. I am not happy living in the extreme climates of Canada, and think I would be much happier in a more temperate climate.

So I've applied to a couple of positions this week -- one in Tennessee, the other in south Florida (Tampa). I got a call the next day from the exec. search company doing the Tampa hire, and they seemed very interested in my cv and experience -- considering the position is a step up for me, and a good $15-30,000 more than I'm making now. There were some questions about my visa eligibility, but since most of these positions are in academia, they have a lot of experience in bringing in foreigners for work :-)

We'll see what happens. I love change, but something this major does scare the sh!t out of me - the thought of relocating my family, leaving behind both sets of grandparents. But there's a part of me that thinks we only have one life to live -- why not take chances, be where you are truly happy, and don't be confined by tradition for the sake of tradition.

Things are still very preliminary, but I figure if there's even a slim chance of something happening, I have to start preparing.

8 comments:

Puffy said...

Frightening, scary, exciting, thrilling all rolled into one! Who knows? Maybe the grandparents will eventually move to be near you...

Anonymous said...

I too would be scared to death - especially when you have a family to consider.

Now, your little ones are probably too young to realize exactly what's going on, and children are so adaptable, that the actual move probably won't be too hard on them. What will be is how it affects you and your wife.

I was just having a discussion with one of my instructors last week. He had a mutual parting with his regular job and is now unemployed. He is okay with it. I know I would not be. I am a person who has to have stability and "knowing" in my life. I think it's one of the biggest factors that makes me stay where I am now.

On the other hand, one of my biggest regrets in life is not taking advantage of the opportunity I had twice before in life to completely uproot and go somewhere to sort of start over. The first time love kept me here, the second a job I had just started.

Does your wife work? I can't remember. If so, would it be fairly easy for her to take time off to move and then could she find something for herself in Florida?

Swami said...

Tennessee has a lovely, mild climate. I think SE Tennesse is almost tropical. NW not so much. I don't like S Florida because I don't like their culture. I find a lot of stuff pretty nasty down there. But that's probably just me.

Sometinmes I can't remember why I moved to Minnesota with it's godforsaken frigid climate. But here is where I met Tom so that makes up for a lot.

Puffy said...

Hey Meemo,
I went to "Meemo's gift shop" in Rotorua, New Zealand. I posted a picture of the sign and the shop in my blog today.

Bravie said...

I can only gay marry you if you move to MA or CA.
Oh wait...nevermind. We don't have to gay marry, do we. *grin*

kevingrout said...

Thanks for all of your insight.

FWIW, we told my inlaws that I had applied for the position, and not surprisingly, my FIL was more than thrilled (he's ready to retire to FL tomorrow).

I got an "written" interview from the school yesterday... basically a bunch of questions that I could provide written response to. It was tricky, because I wanted to be thorough, but not too wordy. We'll see how that goes.

I'll keep this blog up to date on any further developments.

Boo: DW is a realtor. Basically, if we move down there, she wouldn't be able to work for at least a couple years. That wouldn't really be a problem, as she would prefer to stay home with the kids while they're this young anyways.

And bravie, you could just move to Canada.... everything is legal here :-)

Nailbone said...

You, dude, have been TAGGED!!!

kim (weltek) said...

I think it's AWESOME to grab whatever opportunity arises now. Yeah, the visa thing can be tricky, but as you said, academia can deal with it.

I start my master's program this fall. Thanks for the inspiration. The chats we've had over the years about going to grad school have helped.