Monday, July 31, 2006

My date with Glow...

Ok, well it wasn't really a date since both of our respective spouses were there, along with Geg and her friend for awhile, but still, I got to finally meet Glooooooooooooooooooooow!

We left Canada, the true north strong and free, on Friday afternoon (shortly after lunch). After travelling through Buffalo and a bit of New York, we hit Erie, PA. While I had driven through Erie (on my way to Cleveland) before, this was my first time ever driving south through Pennsylvania, and it is such a nice drive!

The scenery, the rolling hills, and the mini-valleys are so beautiful. After about 3 hours into the trek, we noticed the incredible Grove City factory outlet mall, and made notes to include a stop there on our way back. We also realized that we left our camera back home sitting on the dining room table. D'oh!

Within the hour, we came around a corner on the highway to see the city of Pittsburgh emerge out of nowhere. It really is an amazing city (given it's geographic location).

Thanks to Mapquest, we navigated our way downtown to our hotel (which we got a wicked-awesome deal on. Yay Priceline.com!). Once settled into our room, I called Glow to see where she was at. They came by our hotel to pick us up.

Glow gives a pretty good run-down on our meeting and the baseball game in her blog -------> you can find it over there

Let's just say that her blog title (Not a Pretty Girl) is an outright lie. The Glow I met was beautiful and cool. And her hubby Shawn was so accommodating and easy to talk to. Of course, much of the conversation centred around Rockstar and Lukas, along with Glow's Bucky-encounter the night before, but I digress.... :-)

The baseball game was awesome, as was finally meeting the elusive Geg. I know byoffer and nailbone have been longing for a photo of geg, but alas, no camera on this trip meant no photo. She was great, and it was too bad she had to leave early.

After the game (which the Pirates actually won), and fireworks (quite possibly the best show I've ver seen) Glow and Shawn took us on a little tour of Pittsburgh (again, as mentioned in her blog). We even got to see where Ben Rothlisberger had his motorcycle accident.

The next day was so hot, so after sleeping in, DW and I headed to a shopping mall (the Robinson Centre?) to enjoy the air conditioning for awhile. That evening, we went down to Station Square for dinner where I had a salmon with basil pesto sauce dish that I am still longing for.

As a side note, I have to say driving in Pittsburgh is perilous (I got sworn at more than once), but the highways and roads made me think of Grand Turismo (the video game). Driving on a highway through the downtown, over a bridge, and then through a tunnel was unlike anywhere I have ever been before (and I've been alot of places). Just one cool feature of the city that I enjoyed.

On Sunday, we checked out relatively early, and made our way to the Grove City mall. The place is huge (some 150 stores) and it took us almost 4 hours to navigate the whole place. Ended up with some great deals before heading back home.

This summary really doesn't do the trip justice. We had such a good time with Glow and Shawn, and we're already talking about making another trip (to take in the Andy Warhol museum, the science center, and a few other things) when DD is big enough to come along.

Simply put, awesome time, awesome peeps.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Ok. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that drivers in Pittsburgh are absolutely nutty whacko. :)

I'm glad you had such a good time! *smooch*

kevingrout said...

Not just the drivers Jen, some of the peeps too.

Like Glow mentioned, we encountered to teens "under the influence of somethinorother" on Friday night who were mumbling something about the government and standing between Glow and DW and I as we were getting our picture taken.

I also heard a woman absolutely rip into the manager at Wendy's when we were there for lunch when she had no justification to do so.

Then there were the peeps behind us at the baseball game who were soooooooo annoying.

I think Glow and Shawn and Geg are the only normal ones there :-)

Bravie said...

It's pretty scary when Glow is the most normal one there. *giggle*

Glad you had such a good time. I wish I had been able to talk to you.

kim (weltek) said...

Glad to hear you had a great time! I know Glow is awesome, but it sounds like Shawn is too. Geg manages to keep her mystique by leaving early. Sheesh.

The shopping sounds superb! What did you buy me?

Schnookie said...

So glad you all had a great time.

I can't keep up with all the recent peep meets.

Puffy said...

I don't know if you'll like the L.A. residents or drivers any better, but you're welcome to come out here for a visit!

~Nutz said...

Sounds like a fun time! Well... except for the crazy, loco drivers and the Wendy's lady. *grin*

Pittsburgh is a way cool city and the surrounding area? Just gorgeous!

Glowie said...

Meeeeeeeeeeeemo! When are you coming back?