Thursday, March 22, 2007

I need a new car...

Because a tiny little chevy aveo hatchback does not suit a family of 4:



Our other car is a hatchback too, but a little bit bigger (A Suzuki Aerio, which we intend to hold on to).:



The chevy is on lease until January (9 more payments). So I'm going to see about getting out of the lease early.

We're looking for something a little big bigger, but keeping the cost low (and good mileage). Will likely lease again, since we don't know what our family needs will be in another 4-5 years.

Right now, the leaders are the Mazda5:



the Kia Rondo:



and the Dodge Caravan (*ugh - I can't believe I'm considering a minivan* In fact, it doesn't even warrant a picture)

So we're going car shopping this weekend. Based on my internet research, the Rondo offers the most bang for the buck. But I won't know until I check it out for real. Any other suggestions?

Addendum: I popped the hood on the Chevy the other day, only to find that some little vermin had made a nest in my engine. I think it to be mice - as there is a nice chunk of material chewed into part of the liner.

GRRRRRRR! I can only guess how much the dealership is going to charge me when I turn the car in. Anybody have advice on how to keep critters from nesting under the hood of your car?

6 comments:

Debcapsfan said...

*sings* You're getting a minivan..
nyah,nyah.
Sorry, no advice on the critters. I've never had that happen.

Debcapsfan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swami said...

People turn their noses up at minivans all the time but they are so totally functional for family life. You can haul your kids, their stuff, the groceries and even a few kid friends - all with ease & comfort. With the seats down you can haul home a surprising amount of larege stuff from a Home Depot type place!

My suggestion for the mice? They are probably sleeping there just at night, right? Because you drive the car regularly? Is it an a garage?

Park the car at least 30 ft from wherever you are parking it now, like at the very end of the driveway instead of in the garage. Put out mouse traps in the garage every night. Field mice will walk over the open garage floor to where the car used to be looking for it, so put traps there. House mice will hug the walls and not venture onto the open floor looking - so put a few traps up against the wall that would have been nearest the car.

Field mice are not very trap savvy and are very easy to catch. House mice are trickier. I hope it is field mice! (Field mice are the native North American mice. House mice are European imports that have been avoiding clever human traps for hundreds of years.)

Zombs said...

*small voice*

I have a minivan and it is getting too small. We have 3 kids, my handicapped mother and 2 dogs. We went for hte minivan because it was easier for my mother to get in rather than a SUV and for gas mileage. I have the 2 older kids in the 3rd row and the baby in the second with my mother.

Split 3rd row is a must if you go this route. We are in need of one of those big mac things that go on top of the car if we go on a road trip now.

OH the minivan does nto get better gas mileage than an SUV and I am alittle fearful of the kids in the 34rd row compared to a big SUV since there does not seem to be the height and cargo room there to cushion a blow.

I'am a geek.

kim (weltek) said...

No advice for ya, but I like your choices of the Rondo or Mazda 5.

I'm getting tired of spending oodles on vehicles. We never want to keep a car for 10 years, anyway, so why spend the bucks on getting something that "will last forever." I just want something to get me back and forth with reasonable comfort.

Puffy said...

How does $3000 for a new transmission sound? *guilty*

Swami...she smart.