Friday, February 09, 2007

A list for Boo and Kim

1. I have very few shows that I must see each week. In fact, I think other than LOST (and basketball), there's only The Office.

As much as Michael's character is getting tired for me, I absolutely love the Jim/Dwight saga. Comedy gold. I'm going to go to NBC.com and see if they'll ship a Dwight bobble-head to Canada for me.

2. Since #1 was about a TV show, that should clearly indicate that there is still no baby. Of course, DW is clearly more frustrated by this than I am - since she's carrying the baby and all.

3. Any thoughts on what I should do for my Master's thesis? Cuz I'm stumped. sigh. Only stipulation is that it has to have some tie to education. Best suggestion here wins.

4. I hate our cable company. They are a bunch of incompetent fools. Unfortunately, my only other options are the two satellite companies, both of who also suck. Maybe I should just cancel our TV service and let my kids grow up in media isolation.

5. I just found out my acting boss is leaving/retiring soon. That means that since I arrived here 3 years ago, everybody else on the team (four others) have left. I'm beginning to get a complex.

I think I'll leave the list at five. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

LOL! Lists!

I, too, have very few MUST SEE shows. LOST and How I Met Your Mother are about it. I love The Office, but I don't perish if I miss it.

Thesis. Ideas:
1) Something about faculty resistance to offering more courses online (especially at a Master's level). Perceived barriers? Difference in majors, differences in gender or age, etc.

2) Something about online learning communities/high school diploma programs for teens. These are becoming very popular, but little research is being done.

Distance learning is such a timely topic, it just seems ripe with opportunity.

mtw said...

1. I have too many must see shows. Lost, The Office, 24, Prison Break, Survivor, Amazing Race, and The Apprentice.

2. I have no baby either. Are you starting to think the baby may actually NEVER come out?

3. How about an analysis of the statistical significance of "per-capita spending" on quality of education. Does more money mean better education? In all demographic areas? Do other factors play a more significant role than spending?

Or maybe an exploration of the benefits of using animals in the classroom setting - how do kids benefit from having animals in the classroom?

Non-English speakers - is "full immersion" better than teaching in the child's native language?

4. Do they have DirecTV in Canada? At least when DirecTV screws up, they offer me compensation without my having to even ask. I appreciate that.

5. Maybe they know you don't need their help?

Aislinn Sirk said...

My TV addiction heroes. Mr Bob and I go home early on Monday to watch it.

I have to give my ideas for education Masters to my sister.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, did you just call me and Kim bobbleheads?

Anonymous said...

Thesis Idea: Could you do something about how people do well in fields not related to their educational field? Why do people seek higher education? Is it for interest, pressure, the fear of not having it? And how often do they really use their field of study? Hopefully this is making sense.

I felt initial pressure to go to a four-year university. However, that didn't fit into the lifestyle that I was living at the time because I needed to work in order to survive. So I needed to go to night school. I earned an associates degree in legal assisting and, after working in that field for about four years, I moved on to something completely different. While I use some of what I learned, I'm still in a different field, and I earn a very good salary.

I also think a lot of people, especially women, feel the pressure or the need to go to school to prove themselves. Especially women.

Hopefully this has been helpful, but it won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it.